This is A WORLD OUT OF MIND, my Online Journal where I explore Consciousness and the Ultimate Nature of Reality by the intentional alteration of my own belief structures, using Salvia Divinorum and additional self-altering meditational techniques drawn from Western Ceremonial Magic.

I always attempt to adhere to the scientific method as much as possible in my explorations, and while I often speak of these experiences as if I knew they were Truth, I always consider the alternative, that it is merely self-deception on my part, and think accordingly. Thus I maintain two parallel world views at once, one aspirational and one a safe fallback into standard materialism.

The more I journey into salviaspace, the more I think the former worldview is the correct one, but there is no objective way to prove that to the world, so I'll let you, the reader, decide for yourselves.

-Saint Brian the Godless

Follow me on Twitter @AWorldOutOfMind



Saturday, November 15, 2014

Will Equals Certainty

November 12, 2014, late evening, 100x

I sit cross-legged on my bed, and begin meditating. As always, as the salvia takes effect my world changes, becoming pixelated and less real-seeming, and my mind begins to seemingly blend in with my surroundings. The lighting begins to take on an eerie greenish tint; moving dim shapes composed of a slightly glowing more strongly greenish mist move about the room and occasionally move through me. I know from experience that at higher doses these very same greenish clouds resolve themselves into complete realities, parallel worlds, planes of existence, sometimes apparently even populated ones, moving in random directions through me and around me, and ultimately I tend to just skip off into one of those realities at random and cruise about. Meandering much like a train of thought flits from subject to subject, I pass from world to world, body to body, destined to remember little of it all other than the definite fact that I had experienced these things (and indeed much more) as details seem to slip sand-like through my fingers on returning from these journeys. The more I grasp at them, the more they elude me, until all that's left is clear memories of the sense of wonder I'd felt and little else.

Not tonight, however. Tonight I remain in my body, albeit in a trance-like state of deep concentration, and those realities were barely visible as mere twists of glowing greenish smoke moving about me. I remained like this for perhaps fifteen minutes, perfectly still and enraptured with the sense of incredible inner peace and tranquility that characterizes this stage of the experience, and then I began to become more conscious of the world around me, gradually beginning to think again in a more normal manner. At this point I thought of my wife sleeping next to me, and whether I could wake her up intentionally as had happened several times before in various ways. Without even intending it, but seemingly as a reaction to my thought about awakening my wife, I then felt something like a pressure gradient or a reverse-tension of some sort between myself and my wife's sleeping form, and sensing that I then somehow applied an almost-impossible-to-describe counter-pressure of my own against this perceived force. It was as if I was expanding my own self in a wave of force, like breathing out with the whole body and using my exhalation to push against a similar resisting force. I felt and saw the interface of my pressure and the resisting force as a grayish misty shadow moving like a slow wave from my body towards hers. It was not steady progress, however. It proceeded in fits and starts as I gained and then lost ground. I soon realized that I seemed to be only able to apply pressure when I had absolutely zero doubt that I was able to apply pressure. Zero doubt. Any tiny sliver of doubt in what I was doing, and all progress halted and then reversed.

So I began to practice not having any doubt whatsoever.

After a short time working on it, I started to become consistently certain that I could indeed do this, that I was capable of accomplishing this, and so with that certainty my progress became almost constant and I was able to move the grayish interface more steadily toward my sleeping wife. I doggedly remained certain with only a few tiny moments of doubt which I quickly clamped down on hard, and so after all that effort it finally reached her.

As the wave touched her body and "washed" over it, she started awake. Fully awake. I reiterate, at the precise moment it touched her, she awakened. Precisely as I expected her to.

I immediately ceased all "pressure."

I admit that she had not been asleep long, but she definitely had been asleep, and she's a very heavy sleeper. An ideal test subject in that regard.

(By the way, she was not amused)

Yes, so of course, this is impossible. I know. And yet, it happens. Not often, the mental state required is difficult to attain for me, however it certainly seems to happen every now and then. A bit different script every time, but identical results.

I learned something new this time, though.

Remember that part where I could only apply force when I had no doubt? I now understand what the meaning of "Will" is in a magical context. In the sense that it is used in ceremonial magic, the Will is identical to Certainty. Identical. How certain you are that you can do it, is how likely it is that you will do it. Certitude is Will. Will equals Certainty.

Not that I believe in ceremonial magic. I try to not believe in anything. I see it, at least some of it, as a useful and fairly efficient system of belief-manipulation. Self-manipulation. Self-hypnosis, if you will. The point? The goal of ceremonial magic, at least how I see it?

Certainty, oddly enough. Certainty in the face of rising doubt and an improbable goal. Certainty that a thought can change reality.

Does it? Is it? I suppose these many times that something like this has happened could all be a highly improbable coincidence of some sort, perhaps combined with confirmation bias on my part, but I try to eliminate that sort of thing as much as possible up front, so while I can't be absolutely sure that I'm actually definitely awakening my wife or my dog or even sometimes both with mere thought, it certainly seems so to me. It's a very dramatic and amazing thing when you see and sense your mind just reach out to another person and jostle her awake, and have it happen precisely on cue. Hard to dismiss, I assure you.

I should note that I don't "practice" this and fail over and over and then have it happen and report it to you. I get into the right mental state only rarely, and when I do sometimes it doesn't occur to me to even try anything other than enjoy the experience. No, this state of mind where I'm still in my body but reality seems more a part of my mind than it does an external thing, and I'm seeing the greenish ghosts of other worlds floating around my room, just happens to happen, and then I have to happen to think of awakening my wife, and then it always works. Whenever I can perceive a wave in the air moving toward her, she always awakens when it hits her. It just doesn't happen often.

In the past, as recorded in earlier posts here, I'd awaken her "passively" by merely seeing a wave move through the room and her awakening when it hit her. More recently I am the cause of that wave, and I determine its progress.

UPDATE:NOVEMBER 19:
Last night I took my last fairly large hit of salvia and sat in my bed. After a few minutes, suddenly a rippling semicircular distortion appeared in the air in front of me and progressed downwards toward the foot of the bed. By chance it happened to contact my sleeping dog, and he immediately twisted his body, made a noise, and woke up looking at me. I then decided to awaken my wife to tell her about this, and I noted that there were many of her, in the sense that her sleeping form was repeated over and over again, progressing in a semi-circle that disappeared over my head. So I reached out the many of my right arms and touched the many of her sleeping bodies and woke the many of her up and told the many of her about it all. Her multiple repeating bodies reminded me of an opened hand-fan, repeating themselves over and over in a crescent as they did. Even while in this vision I could still communicate with her and describe it all. Incidentally, touching the many of her shoulders with the many of my right hands felt like touching a wall of flesh, like a picket fence of bodies; many touches all felt by my many right hands at once.

Still have no idea what all this means.

54 comments:

  1. That's very fascinating. I too realized that Will is Certainty. The awesome power of belief. Our thoughts truly do shape the reality we inhabit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, where've you been? Missed you around here. Been a while.

    Yes, I never got that before. Always thought "Will" in magical context meant determination, force... but it's simply being able to believe what you wish to believe even if it's incredible to you. At least, so it seems now to me. It's still very difficult to accomplish, but at least I can understand the concept now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It also seems to me that there's a part of all of us that most definitely does NOT WANT to affect reality in any way so that it will be obvious to us that we're doing it, like some primal fear of our reality disintegrating if we prove to ourselves that we can affect it. a part of the personality that works against it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there is only one thing, maybe there need to be some prerequirement to be "something different/ a thing with other things interacting"?
      Maybe a first need is the confusion about the very fact that there is only one thing existing? Is difference/causality even possibile without this confusion first? If "every part" is aware that it is the same .... how can there be DIFFERENT parts?!
      If so, it could be natural that there is this part which definitely NOT WANT to recognize that there is nothing in existence(else than one) Affecting/manipulating reality points in a direction where you may get to know about the fact that there is no real difference...so this fear may trigger?

      Delete
  4. Yes, it's incredibly challenging to essentially invent something in my mind and then attempt to believe in it with absolute certainty. Your mind knows that it's exerting it's influence, that it's internal. Those doubts always creep back in. I think that's why we have these external frameworks for religions. Like prayer and ceremony. Maybe we all have this inherent disbelief in ourselves.

    And in a group setting, like a church, it's very easy to get swept up in the collective certainty. Seeing all these people believe with their whole hearts, even if it's something absolutely ridiculous, is compelling. For some at least :) We definitely have that latent desire to have our place in the throng.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I've been absent for quite a while...been dealing with some health issues. Just been trying to focus on my physical well-being.

    I missed coming here too :) Your posts are always interesting and thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I spoke to one man on Twitter yesterday that read this post and he asked me if it was possible to be amazed while I was doing this, and I told him 'no, that would be like a doubt, so you'd have to wait till afterwards to feel the emotion of what you'd accomplished" and he told me "well then, such an experience is not for me." HUH? Wow. I just don't get people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you're back and I hope your health problems are better. I was worried about you tbh, since you'd talked about your health prior to vanishing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still wonder about Burningmouth. Have you heard anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He went insane staring at that white and gold dress :
      I mean that black and blue dress :
      I mean that purple and green dress worn by some woman who took my identity the last time I was rotating through salviaspace. But I don't mind. Maybe I can get a development deal to write a 10 week sitcom at Amazon Prime. NAH.....

      Delete
  9. And in other news, there's this:
    http://www.livescience.com/48806-parallel-worlds-quantum-mechanics-theory.html

    So science is getting more and more comfortable with seeing the universe as I do when I'm on salvia.

    ReplyDelete
  10. NOTE TO READERS: I have added a short update to this post, at the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your concern. I've changed my diet and made some progress with that. Just neglected my health for a while, but I'll recover.

    Burningmouth, no, I still haven't had any contact. I really miss that guy. He did post something to his blog a couple months ago I believe, but he recently deleted it. It was a Salvia experience report he found on erowid. I just wish he didn't close his e-mail account when he disappeared because that was the only way I could contact him really. He's a member of a forum I used to frequent, but I haven't tried to private message him there yet. Maybe I'll do that tonight and see if he responds. We talked for quite a few years, I sure do miss him.

    Yes! I think Quantum Theories is inevitably where we need to go if we're going to further our understanding of the reality we inhabit. It's becoming a lot more accepted, or at least talked out, both in and out of the science community. I've always loved the possibility of parallel worlds or a massive multi-dimensional reality. Infinite complexity, forever expanding, with infinite possibilities :)

    The Science Channel has been airing some shows/specials talking a lot about quantum mechanics, black holes, etc. Very theoretical stuff, which I find fascinating. You can see the dialogue is opening, we're beginning to see maybe these crazy physicists aren't so crazy after all :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've experienced something like that "hand fan" effect that you describe. That's incredible that you could actually feel the many different hands touching her shoulder. I truly cannot wait until the existence of these other realities is proven and tested. Perhaps we'll be looked at as some of the first pioneers :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, it truly, honestly feels to me like salvia divinorum is a substance that temporarily breaks down the barrier in your mind that insists that you see one and only one reality at a time. I feel it that way as it takes effect; one minute I'm in one mind, the next I perceive my other minds and I'm equally in all of them, and it seems totally natural.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You said in the other post:
    "Well, I am not thinking that I'm the only me, because I experience other versions of me all the time now. Some are almost the same as me, some seem more different. "

    What is this "me" what version do you call "me"?

    now you say:

    "I feel it that way as it takes effect; one minute I'm in one mind, the next I perceive my other minds and I'm equally in all of them, and it seems totally natural."

    YOU are equally in all of them .... what is this "you" while equally many?..... so you have sort of a single vantage point everytime which seems to be unique to you? And this vantage point can adapt to many views/experiences/physical body versions of St.Brian at the same time though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also check back on other post, since I went there first and left several other replies to you.

      Delete
    2. If there are many versions of me, that means there are many that are essentially the same being at the core; only small differences and details differentiate them from "this" me. I think that on salvia it breaks down the barrier between worlds (which is psychological and not physical) and those similar versions of me with the same 'core' of experiences connect, and each of us senses all the others. They're all as much me as this version is. In fact I think it's common for us all to split into two or more versions of ourselves all the time, thus "creating" two or more universes. I've sensed it happening twice, very clearly.

      Delete
  15. Well, each version of me taking salvia at the time all experiences the same sense of being aware of all the other versions, no? So I'm only one of them telling you this, although there are many more of me telling many more of you this now as we speak, no? When I take salvia, many versions of me take it as well. Any of them could tell any of you the same thing, and all of them would call themselves "I" or "Me" as they were telling you, yes?

    I am all of them, but normally only aware of this one version.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I even think it's possible that actual reality is something like "every possible thing all happening at once" so all the parallel universes are here and now, and are just as real, and just as visible, as ours is. So then it's our MINDS that choose a path that makes sense, that makes a STORY that we understand, and we ONLY see that path, filtering out all the other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it may even be possible that indeed, all that can happen does happen, and that we're able to shift between these slightly different realities without knowing we have made the shift. That every possibility and decision we make branches off into the multiverse, and our consciousness, our 'core being', is multidimensional in nature and can shift through this multitude of other worlds without our normal, everyday awareness realizing it.

      It's a very unsettling thought at times :) But after smoking Salvia for so many years and having the very strong feeling that when I return to my body, that this reality is slightly 'off' from the one I just left a few minutes earlier. And that shifting between these realities is something we do very often, during sleep for example. But the reason we do not retain any memory of the previous reality we just inhabited is due to this amnesic barrier between the worlds. Just like the all too familiar amnesic barrier we experience between our everyday, waking consciousness and the state that Salvia produces.

      Delete
    2. You echo my thoughts on this matter exactly and precisely. I completely agree. I too feel how things are sometimes "slightly off" when I get back. And don't forget, I once stopped halfway between worlds and could see both the one I was leaving and the one I was going into. (my post Strange Stuff, "The Ninety Degree Turn")
      That one was the most convincing evidence I'd ever gotten from salvia. Hard to ignore when you can PAUSE and look forward and see the (new) room, and look backwards and see an identical (old) room, and you haven't even moved.

      Delete
    3. "Strange Stuff" http://salviaspace.blogspot.com/2014/09/strange-stuff.html

      See "The Ninety Degree Turn"
      Truly earthshattering to me when it happened.

      Delete
  17. I'm just finishing re-reading a book about Salvia that I mentioned to you previously. It's called "Salvia divinorum: Doorway to Thought-Free Awareness" by J.D. Arthur. I really would like to get your opinion on some of the things he discusses in the book, so I'm going to scan it in to a digital document for you. E-mail me at metanoian at outlook dot com so I can send it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I own that book. I think I have it in paper somewhere. Maybe on my kindle too. Just send me the parts you have questions over. SaintBrianTG@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh great, that saves me a lot of time scanning pages :)

      Delete
  19. I wonder if you can manipulate the wave, or practice awakening your wife without Salvia. The Will equals Certainty makes a lot of sense to me. I practiced a lot of law of attraction techniques which usually involved making intentions and being doubt free. A lot of the time it seems to work. I will write up a post soon where I use Will/Certainty.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yeah, I already spend a lot of time trying to do that. It's very hard to get to the mental state where I see the 'wave' even with salvia. I try all the time without, with meditation alone. No dice. I do get some of the visual effects now in meditation but nowhere near when I use salvia.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do not seem to awaken her by desiring that she awaken. It more seems like I awaken her (or the dog) by disturbing them somehow, as in, they feel the wave. Dunno how. Dunno why. To me it seems impossible UNLESS all reality is a dreamlike state somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've been meaning to experiment with Salvia particularly to see the reactions of other animals. I have had a few incidents, mostly with dogs in the park. Unfortunately I won't be able to try this anytime soon as the Salvia is causing some kind of liver disturbance.

    Animals especially have a good sense for things that we do not ordinarily sense or see, Salvia seems to enhance something so much that it creates a kind of reaction in them.

    http://unchartedjourney.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/barking-mad.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes, but if they can 'sense things that we do not ordinarily see' it still means reality is a consciousness thing and not a physical thing. How else would it be possible for such unseen things to even exist?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ----------
      "Yes, but if they can 'sense things that we do not ordinarily see' it still means reality is a consciousness thing and not a physical thing."
      ----------
      I'm confused by this statement, St. Brian. Are you using the word "consciousness" in the spiritual/metaphysical sense, as in "we are all one consciousness?" Or are you using it in the perceptual sense, as in "I am conscious of the pressure of my office chair on my buttocks and lower back?" Until a clarification of terms is made, I'm afraid my mind must remain shrouded in bafflement.
      ----------

      Delete
    2. "How else would it be possible for such unseen things to even exist?"
      ----------------
      I can't see radio waves. Yet I perceive music coming out of my stereo, so I'm reasonably certain they exist.

      Delete
    3. No my friend, that is not valid. We can indeed "see" radio waves in the sense that we can prove they're there. The spirit however? Not even close.

      I meant the idea that reality is more a 'consciousness' thing than it is a material thing. That reality is consciousness, in the sense of it being like a dream.

      Only if reality is consciousness-based would it be possible to have ESP for instance. Or for a ghost to actually be a real spirit of the departed. Or most any "psychic" or "paranormal" event including synchronicities that are frequent and significant and have meaning.

      I do not believe that "spirit" is a force like electricity or radio waves or whatever. It can't be. We'd find a way to measure it.

      Delete
    4. "We can indeed "see" radio waves in the sense that we can prove they're there."

      Agreed. But not without assistance.

      I intended my remark to read that I can't 'see' radio waves moving through the air with my naked eye. I can't 'see' (unassisted) the music coming out of my stereo either, but I can perceive it with my ears, so I know it's there.

      On a somewhat related note, what are your thoughts on the phenomenon of synesthesia?

      Delete
    5. I have it all the time on salvia. Seeing through my skin, mostly. Sense of touch and hearing often perceived visually. My thoughts? Hard to say, it's explicable by science but it might mean something, it might be something more.

      Delete
  24. I mean, let's even take the idea of a ghost. If ghosts existed, it means that there is a spiritual dimension of some sort. Not possible with material-based existence. Same with ESP. Same with salvia visions disturbing animals. None of these things are possible in the universe that science describes at present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "None of these things are possible in the universe that science describes at present."
      ---------------
      At present. Bingo.

      If at some point science is able to describe/quantify "ghosts" in a logically coherent and repeatedly verifiable way (perhaps as some previously unmeasurable manifestation of electromagnetic particles that somehow maintain memory traces of previous energy incarnations), will this be taken as proof that "ghosts" are materially-based, or as proof of a spiritual dimension?

      If "ghosts" are proven to be materially-based then it seems like we're still pretty much at the business-as-usual level. Just because "ghosts" have been explained the rest of the Spiritual World is still a safe refuge, as belief/faith in invisible entities (such as God or Universal All-One Consciousness or Whatever) has not been damaged too badly and we can all carry on believing or not believing in whatever we want to without science mucking everything up.

      But if, somehow, a Spiritual Dimension is proven, irrefutably, by science.... Holy Cow. Can you imagine the chaos?

      That grinding sound you'll hear will be a paradigm trying to shift without a clutch in the minds of all those people who have spent years trying to discredit science. Will science, now, suddenly, be right just because it conforms with belief?

      Simultaneously: The die-hard Empiricists? Up against the wall with those bastards. Those who cling to the belief that there must be something wrong with these new equations could suddenly find themselves crouching in hidden basements (much like early Christians) worshiping slide rules formed into the shape of Pi symbols and scribbling arcane quantum calculations in the dirt with pointed sticks to justify their cherished beliefs which their own kind helped to discredit.

      It could get real ugly or it could become, essentially, a pole reversal of where humanity is right now.

      Then again, maybe I've had one or two too many glasses of Thanksgiving cheer and I'm just rambling. As the late, great, George Carlin once said: "These are the kind of thoughts that keep me from making any real progress with my life."

      Cheers,
      TTM

      Delete

    2. ---This is a dead end, I think. Spiritual people want science to see spirit, but science by it's nature will never do that, for the skeptic cannot see it. Much more likely that reality itself is such that a spirit can exist as just that, a spirit. Incorporeal, leaving no trace of measurable evidence, a disembodied "soul." That means consciousness-based reality.

      I'm fairly good at science, not an expert but pretty fluent, and I do not see any way that the spirit world could be seen by it, because it would have to be explicable in terms of things that we already know and relate to them somehow. Not gonna happen UNLESS science changes so much that it wouldn't be recognizable to a scientist of today.

      Delete
  25. "---This is a dead end, I think."
    ------------------------------------------

    Again, agreed. Or at least and argument of infinite regress....
    ------------------------------------------

    "Not gonna happen UNLESS science changes so much that it wouldn't be recognizable to a scientist of today."
    ------------------------------------------

    This does seem to happen though. I have to wonder what the reactions of, say, Copernicus or Newton would be if they were somehow transported to 2014 and you handed them a smartphone. How would they react if confronted with the findings of contemporary quantum physics regarding time and space? They were sharp enough thinkers in their day that they could probably eventually 'get it' but until they did I think (to paraphrase Clarke) our technology would to them be indistinguishable from magic.

    Playing around in my own headspace, I like to imagine a "Spiritual Scientist" of sorts somewhere in the future somehow unifying the Spiritual and the Material. Probably won't happen though, because as you note, "science will never do that." Personally I like to think it's improbable that science will do that. I'm just not comfortable saying it's impossible. Just unlikely.

    All of this fascinates me.

    Regards,
    TTM

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ok, there are ways it could happen. Say Max Tegmark's right about reality being a mathematical construct, where decisions we make produce multiple universes as a result, and patterns might persist at some level of reality even when an organism is dead. The "Mathematical Universe" is one tiny step away from spirituality, since if "All Is Math" it indicates a mind-like quality to reality, albeit a "Math-Mind". And if you think about it, even a conversation about a fashion show can be reduced to math. Everything can. So a Math-Mind is basically similar to our minds in many ways.
    And other ways exist as well, so it's at least possible.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yes.
    It was the great experience for me to use the salvia 10x. Now i am thinking to use second level i.e. salvia 20x

    ReplyDelete
  28. "Say Max Tegmark's right about reality being a mathematical construct, where decisions we make produce multiple universes as a result"
    ------------------------------
    It's not just Tegmark. Many other theoretical physicists hold similar ideas. Leonard Susskind (my personal hero. . . how nerdy is that to have a theoretical physicist as a hero?) comes to mind, especially in his remarks about reality being a holographic projection of sorts which he is on record as saying seems to him to be quite likely. Cool stuff, in my opinion.

    Personally I don't really have a problem with the idea of a Mathematical Universe, although the thought of you, me, everything being nothing more than a bunch of 1's and 0's is a bit disconcerting.

    Which reminds me of an old computer science joke:
    "There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary language, and those who do not."

    Strangely, this only works as a joke when you write it out....

    Happy trails,
    TTM

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, I'd have laughed at it if it were spoken. Guess I'm another nerd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of multiple universes, the most recent issue of Skeptic Magazine has some interesting articles concerning such: http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/14-09-03/

      Delete
  30. I did read Brian Greene's book on them recently.
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Hidden-Reality-Parallel-Universes/dp/0307278123
    Very good. Apparently there are 4 different types of parallel universes possible according to him. Most interesting to me are types III and IV.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Personally I don't really have a problem with the idea of a Mathematical Universe, although the thought of you, me, everything being nothing more than a bunch of 1's and 0's is a bit disconcerting.
    --------------------
    There have been a few times on salvia that I've perceived my own mind as nothing more than a very large number of binary statements, yes-no questions and so forth.

    It also seems that the act of self-reflection or seeking to see the person that is seeing out of my own eyes creates a kind of feedback cycle that burrows down through my consciousness toward an ever-receding source, my attention focused on my attention focused on my attention continued ad infinitum creating a fractal of self-referential awareness that goes so deep it might as well be infinite. I think this is what differentiates us from lower forms, that we're capable (if only rarely willing) to reflect upon our own source like that.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Back to science for a sec. I've often said that while science will never acknowledge the reality of the spirit, it will however describe it someday as science, creating many new and very large words for it, and it will be then be officially science and not spirit, even though it will be identical to what we call spirit now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just playing Devil's Advocate for a moment:

      I'd like to strip away metaphysical language connotations, and substitute the words " A Ham Sandwich" for "Spirit" just for fun. Would it (the sandwich) still exist at a level where we could take a bite out of it without noting any difference whatsoever regardless of how we label it? If something is identical, it is indistinguishable from the other at any level, so why not chow down (unless one is a vegetarian, in which case all bets are off)?

      Seems to be a matter of semantics at this point.... Or have I just turned into the character of Cypher eating a piece of steak that his mind is telling him is juicy and delicious in The Matrix?

      Delete
  33. One meditation that I do now is to see the person seeing out of my eyes, to observe the observer. Then I observe the person observing the observer. Then I observe the person observing the person observing the observer. And so forth. This can seemingly go on forever.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Another thing I've become aware of recently is that my awareness, my consciousness itself, my belief in my perception of reality, can be tuned. Much like a radio I can (with salvia) change the frequency of my consciousness, and when I do I see other worlds. This is how it's done, that is what SD does. It feels like thinking slower or faster, at a radically different pace, so a different frequency. I've run into this many times now.

    ReplyDelete
  35. And it's not the thoughts that flow faster. It's not thinking your sentences at high speed or low. It's the very flow of thought itself. Hard to describe but it's really most like radio frequencies. When you tune into a higher radio frequency and find another channel, the voices on that channel are the same as on the lower one. It's the speed of the flow of the thought itself, of the *consciousness* itself, that changes, not the content.

    ReplyDelete