This is A WORLD OUT OF MIND, my Online Journal where I explore Consciousness and the Ultimate Nature of Reality by the intentional alteration of my own belief structures, using Salvia Divinorum and additional self-altering meditational techniques drawn from Western Ceremonial Magic.

I always attempt to adhere to the scientific method as much as possible in my explorations, and while I often speak of these experiences as if I knew they were Truth, I always consider the alternative, that it is merely self-deception on my part, and think accordingly. Thus I maintain two parallel world views at once, one aspirational and one a safe fallback into standard materialism.

The more I journey into salviaspace, the more I think the former worldview is the correct one, but there is no objective way to prove that to the world, so I'll let you, the reader, decide for yourselves.

-Saint Brian the Godless

Follow me on Twitter @AWorldOutOfMind



Saturday, September 20, 2014

Ratios and Probabilities in an Omniversal Scenario

Saturday, October 26, 2013
Ratios and Probabilities in an Omniversal Scenario
Due to my personal experiences with salvia divinorum I have come to think, or at least strongly suspect, that in our everyday lives we change universes all the time and do not realize it nor even suspect it. We do it practically every moment.

Another thing that seems to ring true to me now is the idea that in this consciousness/story-based universe, or rather in the overarching consciousness/story-based omniverse that contains our universe and many others, all possible plots are already written. Any and all possibilities are already realized or will be realized somewhere.

(This is analogous to the theory in Quantum Physics of "The Quantum Multiverse")

Given those two intuitions of mine, I can conclude that the very essence of probability is merely the fact that all proximate (next moment) universes that represent our choices in this one are realized into multitudes of new universes at the ratio of the probability of the next event happening based upon existing events in this one.

In other words, if I come to a fork in the road and there's a 50-50 chance that I will turn left, this event, this choice, produces not two new universes, but many, perhaps infinite new universes, and in 50 percent of them I turn left, and in the other 50 percent I turn right. So if I were to say that the chances of me being hit by a small meteorite right now are a trillion to one, that would translate into an infinity of new universes, with every trillion-and-first one having me being hit by that meteorite, and the other trillion, not. From our perspective we practically never get hit by that meteorite, but from an omniverse perspective we do, every trillion-and-one times.

This raises the idea of infinities of universes occurring with ratios embedded in their infinite numbers.

For instance, if you have an infinity of whole integers and they consist of the series "1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2..." and so on, repeating forever, then if I were to select a random number of that infinite series, I have a fifty percent chance of getting a 1, and a fifty percent chance of getting a 2. So just because the resultant universes of a given choice are likely infinite in number does not mean that if we find ourselves in one of them a minute from now, that there are not probabilities at play here, for we can still say that there is a given chance of the next result (next universe) having a given property or result, based upon the 'starting conditions' of this minute in this universe, regardless of the fact that indeed, all choices are realized somewhere. Sure, they're all realized, but not at the same RATIO.

This seems to me to be the answer to Brian Greene's problem of 'why do statistics still apply in an infinite multiverse/omniverse where all choices and options are realized?' (Quantum Physicists can't answer that one yet, but apparently I can)

(The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos
http://www.amazon.com/The-Hidden-Reality-Parallel-Universes/dp/0307278123)

Let's go back to the Meteorite Scenario above.

A trillion-to-one chance that I will be hit by that meteorite.

So I am now in the *next* universe, where it will happen or it will not.

I have randomly selected this next universe out of an infinity of possible universes, but in that infinity, a universe in which I actually do get hit only occurs about one in every trillion universes.

So I step with confidence into the next moment, into the next universe, because I can say that there's only a trillion-to-one chance that I will be hit by a meteorite in that universe.

So in reality probabilities only indicate the *frequency* of that event happening in the next infinite series of universes, which is to say, the ratio of universes in that next moment where I do or do not get hit. One universe in every trillion. So I can be pretty confident that when I step into the next universe, that it is highly unlikely that it will be one of the rare ones in which I die.

And yet, in one of them in every trillion, I do get hit by that meteorite. So all events happen, but not at the same frequency of occurrence as realized in the next infinity of universes.

Thus the probability of an event happening in the next moment is actually a reflection of the fact that events in this universe in this moment dictate the ratio of the universes containing that event in the next (infinite) series of universes, from which I will randomly select one when I move into it.

Of course, what actually happens in an extension of the Quantum Multiverse scenario is that I select ALL of them, and in one of them, one of every trillion of them, I die. The rest of me however, are blissfully unaware of that sad event. Either that or my one consciousness does move into new universes based upon my expectation of "what happens next" in the plot of my story, and all the other universes exist only as potential realities. Not sure yet which.

>UPDATE 2/8:
On reading Max Tegmark's book "Our Mathematical Universe," I've since discovered that this salvia insight about statistics and probability has already been thought of, by Hugh Everett, since deceased. Tegmark thinks the idea puts Everett on a par with Einstein. So I guess I did okay on my own with just my imagination and some salvia.

No comments:

Post a Comment